Back to Cardiology Drug index
Pregnancy Category C
- Loop (high ceiling) diuretic
Inhibits the reabsorption of sodium and chloride from the proximal and
distal renal tubules and the loop of Henle, leading to a natriuretic
- Edema associated with CHF, cirrhosis, renal disease
- Acute pulmonary edema (IV)
- Unlabeled use: treatment of adult nocturia
Allergy to bumetanide; electrolyte depletion; anuria, severe renal
failure; hepatic coma; SLE; gout; diabetes mellitus; lactation.
- CNS: Asterixis, dizziness, vertigo, paresthesias, confusion, fatigue,
nystagmus, weakness, headache, drowsiness, fatigue, blurred vision,
tinnitus, irreversible hearing loss
- GI: Nausea, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, gastric irritation and pain,
dry mouth, acute pancreatitis, jaundice
- CV: Orthostatic hypotension, volume depletion, cardiac arrhythmias,
- Hematologic: Hypokalemia, leukopenia, anemia, thrombocytopenia
- GU: Polyuria, nocturia, glycosuria, renal failure
- Local: Pain, phlebitis at injection site
- Other: Muscle cramps and muscle spasms, weakness, arthritic pain,
fatigue, hives, photosensitivity, rash, pruritus, sweating, nipple
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership