Back to Cardiology Drug index
Pregnancy Category B
- Potassium-sparing diuretic
Inhibits sodium reabsorption in the renal distal tubule, causing loss
sodium and water and retention of potassium.
Edema associated with CHF, nephrotic syndrome, hepatic cirrhosis;
steroid-induced edema, edema from secondary hyperaldosteronism (alone
with other diuretics for added diuretic or antikaliuretic effects)
Contraindicated in the presence of allergy to triamterene,
renal disease (except nephrosis), liver disease, lactation.
Use caution in the presence of diabetes mellitus, pregnancy.
- CNS: Headache, drowsiness, fatigue, weakness
- GI: Nausea, anorexia, vomiting, dry mouth, diarrhea
- Hematologic: Hyperkalemia, blood dyscrasias
- GU: Renal stones, intersititial nephritis
- Dermatologic: Rash, photosensitivity