Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Leaking Valves

Anonymous - Sat Dec 28, 2002 3:37 am

What is the future for someone who has 3 leaking valves? The three that are leaking are aortic, tricuspid and mitral. Two are mild and one is moderate.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:41 pm

User avatar Dear Susan,

Thank you very much for using our website.

i suppose that these leaking valves were diagnosed by echocardiogram. How old is the person that has the leaking valves? What kind of symptoms prompted the echocardiogram? What was told about the cause of the leaking valves? Are the valves anatomically abnormal (meaning is there a specific valve disease like rheumatic heart disease or mitral valve prolpase?)

Some people will just be discovered to have these leaking valves on echocardiogram without any clinical significance. If there are no symptoms, then i would totally ignore those findings because many cardiologists think that there is nothing we can do if there are no symptoms. Once symptoms start then the patient has to be re-evaluated and followed-up closely.

The only thing to take care of here is if you are going to have any kind of medical procedure including dental work, you have to tell your doctor about this for the probability of receiving antibiotics before the procedure.

Once more thank you very much for using our website The Doctors Lounge and waiting for your reply.

Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:42 pm

Thank you for your response. The patient is my mother. She is 67 years old. She has congential heart problems. She had open heart surgery when she was 28. The congential heart problems were atrial septal defect and ventricular septal defect. One hole was patched and the other was stitched. They did try to repair the mitral valve but it didn't work. She has atrial fib and a stiff heart. Her heart is also very enlarged because of being over worked for so long. She is also suffering from pulmonary hypertension. The pressures in the pulmonary artery are high. The leaky valves were diagnosed by echo. Her symptons include sob,lightheadness, weakness and retention of fluid.

Thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:43 pm

User avatar Dear Susan,

Thank you very much for the update.

The leaky valves are not the big problem. The problem is that your mother sounds to have Eisenmenger's syndrome which the development of pulmonary hypertension in cases of congenital heart disease. She also sounds to have congestive heart failure. i would suppose that your mom is on medications for treatment of heart failure. The medications should be adjusted so that your mother does not have any symptoms or very minimal symptoms.

If your mother has a big heart, then the leaky valves could be from this, meaning that the heart is so big that it stretches the valves open more than they should be and they become leaky.

Once more thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and if you still have any concerns or answers, please, let me know.

Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:44 pm

Thank you for your response. My mother is on several different medications. She is on Coreg, Enalapril, Coumadin, Potassium, Lasix and Levethyroid. I forgot to mention she has an underactive thyroid.

Thank you.
 Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:45 pm

I want to ask another question. Even though my mother's congential heart problems have been somewhat corrected she still could have Eisenmenger's syndrome? Everything I have read about this syndrome relates to people that have not had their septal defects corrected. I am convinced she had the syndrome for 28 years. She didn't have open heart surgery until she was 28.
Thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:45 pm

User avatar Dear Susan,

Most of the congential heart defects alter the normal lung circulation. Many of them will increase the blood going to the lungs. The lungs have to protect themselves from the extrablood they receive, and the way they do it is by constricting the arteries going to them (pulmonary arteries). Unfortunately, if this constriction lasts for a long time, it becomes irreversible (a process known as Eisenmenger's syndrome). And irreversible means that even if the congenital defect is corrected by surgery, the pulmonary vessels will remain constricted for ever and there is nothing that could be done except lung or heart-lung transplantation to cure this.

Thank you very much for using our website The Doctors Lounge and please do not hesitate to ask more questions.

Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:46 pm

Thank you so much for your response to my questions. I love this website. You have been very informative and nice.

Thank you.

|