News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest Pains/Other Symptons

scwoods - Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:16 pm

My husband turned 39 2/28/04. On 2/22...he begin experiencing sharp chest pains. He has had a dull pain near his heart for a couple of weeks that he did not disclose to me. We visited the ER on 2/23..where some routine blood work along with an EKG were performed. These seemed to be alright according to the doctor on duty. We then saw a family doctor on 2/25. He ordered a treadmill test that Friday. All seemed to be well....however, here are the symptons that continue daily. He has chest pains daily...along with numbness, pain, and/or tingling in the left arm. He has pain in his jaw and neck. Over the past two days he has developed really bad headaches along with blurred vision in his left eye. He is a workaholic who normally pushes hard for 12-14 hrs daily on a farm and well drilling. He hasn't had the energy to do anything this past week. He has been referred to a cardiologist almost 2wks from now. My question is what do you think this is and should he see a doctor sooner? Thanks so much for your help. We are in a really small town and they seem to be taking his chest pains and other symptoms lightly.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:36 pm

User avatar Dear Scwoods,

Thank you very much for using our website.

If your husband completed the stress test till the point where he was supposed to, most probably his chest pains are not related to coronary disease. Did he have any chest pains during the stress test? Where there any ekg changes then?

This being said, however, there is still a small chance that he has coronary disease. However, it is highly unlikely that he has coronary disease, as the character of pain that you are describing is atypical for coronary disease as he went to the emergency room and while having the pain and his ekg was normal as well as his blood work. Also, it is kind of unusual to have chest pain related to coronary disease untreated for 2 weeks without developing a heart attack.

The cause of the chest pains of your husband could be related to neck spine problems as it could lead to the symptoms you are describing of neck pain and left arm pain as well as chest pains.

Other causes could be a
1. Inflammation of the membrane surrounding the heart called the pericardium (pericarditis).
2. Inflammation of the membrane surrounding the lung (pleurisy).
3. Bad cold with lots of muscle pain.
4. Exhaution from working too muck.
5. Acid reflux disease.

My advice is for your husband to have a little bit of a rest from work in addition to trying to take anti-inflammatory medications to see whether is giong to help the pain and to have an x-ray of his neck spine. If after all this he still has the pain and both of you are still worried, then, i think it would not be unreasonable to see a cardiologist.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here