Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: muscle spasms

lanceman15 - Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:30 pm

Hello. I have just signed up to this website because I have a medical question I would appreciate a response to as soon as possible. I am a 33 year old male, single, light- drinker, non-smoker, no known allergies.

I have been having muscle spasms quite a lot in the past couple of weeks. Normally, I would get a muscle spasm maybe once every 3 to 6 months and then it would go away. These are very miinor incidents, like a finger slightly flexing without my action, or an eye lid that twitches and is nothing more than an annoyance for a couple of minutes before going away. But, these incidences are becoming more and more prevalent, particulary, my fingers and biceps muscles twitching. Again, this is minor. It doesn't prevent me from doing anything, its just a nuisance to me, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned about it. Does the increased frequency mean that I'm coming down with something. MS maybe?

Wondering if I could get a professional to provide me with some insight as to what may be causing my muscle twinges and if I should be concerned about it. Thank you for taking the time to read my request for assistance.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:22 pm

User avatar Dear lanceman15,

Muscle spasms like the ones that you described can be caused by over excitability of the nerve-muscle complex resulting in spontaneous firing of the nerve and muscle twitching. This can be caused by lack of sleep, stress, electrolyte imbalance in the body, too much coffee or tea, too much drinking. Many times a caused is not is not identified.

If this continues and becomes a nuisance, i suggest that you see your health care provider.

Multiple sclerosis usually does not present in this way.

callie0690 - Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:17 am

I am a 34 yr old, non smoker, light drinker, single female. I have been getting a spasm right below my left eye, and it goes for a couple of min. stops and starts up again. it does this off and on all day for the last 2 weeks or so. I did have an aunt that had 19 tumors behind her eye and several more through her body. Mother had cervical cancer, father has heart problems. I did switch shifts and now work 3rd shift. I don't feel stressed no more than normal. can you give me some insight? thanks!
 dukeraj - Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:33 pm

I been having back problems for the last 30 years, the doctor puts me on an electric muscle stimulate. It does can i purchase one of thease units without a prescription? And where? Thanks
 SAVION24 - Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:07 am

Hello, I am a 30 yr old female who had a child in the last year. I am 270 pounds and have been having chest pains frequently. they are usually more to the right side. I would say in the middle and are painful to the touch. they generally last a few minutes. I have started taking phentermine by itself to help me curb my appettite. the chest pains do not come when i am exercising or moving around a lot, generally i get them while lying down or sitting. I am worried since I have a baby and cannot get into see my dr for another 3 weeks. The pain is not severe enough to go to the ER but i am worried since I am overweight. I do not feel it is stress related because I have not been stressing about anything except trying to lose weight. Can you help me figure out what it may be?
 brandyjo23 - Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:39 pm

hi, I'm a 23 year old female, I do smoke cigarettes, and I drink coffee only in the mornings. I have been having muscle spasms on the left side of my chest around my heart. These spasms are annoying, I don't know why I am having them.
I know my grandfather has had two or three bypasses, and my mom said she has been feeling her heart skip beats every now and then. Is this something I should be worried about? I have been under a lot of stress lately with work and relationship problems and probably with the holidays here. Can someone please help?

|