Question: Shallow breather

holsinar - Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:41 pm

I am a 25 year old female and have a question. What classifies as having Tachypnea. I am a young and healthy. I run at least 3x a week and weight train. I am very fit. My respirations are very shallow and rapid (for as long as I can remember). My respirations at rest are 27-31 a minute. My fiance' is the one who thinks it is abnormal, he tries to mimic my breathing before bed, and says he can't keep up with me. When running it seems to slow down, because I concentrate on exhaling for 2 steps and inhaling for 2 steps (prevents muscle cramps). I have asked my uncle ( a family phycian) and he says don't worry about it.
Is it anything to get checked out?
Shallow breather....Holly
holsinar@yahoo.com
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:31 am

User avatar Dear Holly,

Women usually breath faster than men but the average is still like 14 times a minute.

i think 27 times a minute is a little too fast, but i think that if you have been like this all your life and that you are not having any problems with that, then i guess that there is no need to worry about it.

i don't think that you have to go see your doctor now, but if you happen to visit him/her for any other reason, i would encourage you to mention it to him/her.

|