Question: Chest Pain (central), shortness of breath, upper leg pain

Anonymous - Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:59 am

ok for over a month now i been recieving chest pains in the center of the chest. last couple of weeks i been getting them more frequently more intense. and also been getting them on the left side and the back as well. last couple days i been getting pains on my left upper part of my leg. tonight i was walking home from work and my leg felt as if it been doing workout all day so it made it hard to walk which normal i never had trouble doing so. i also have shortness of breath all the time. cannot doing excersise without tiring easliy.
what can this mean? is it serious? will it go away on its own?

thanks please answer asap if possible.

thank you for your time
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:27 pm

User avatar Dear Tmari,

Thank you very much for using our website.

You have not said whether you are a male or a female. Whether you smoke or not, whether you have any chronic disease for which you are treated and whether any of your first fegree family members (mother, father, older brother or sister) had heart attacks in the past or not.

Also you did not mention how long the pain lasts, is it related to exercise in any way and what do you do to make the pain go away.

Your family history of high blood pressure and diabetes is to be considred.

A blood pressure of 152/90 is high. But once only should not be considered. It has be consistently high on at least 3 different occasions.

The symptoms that you are describing could be related to many things.

Chest pain is always worriesome for coronary disease. At 24 years old, it is rare to have coronary disease, but it is not unheard of. Other causes of chest pain at your age could be related to other conditions such as mitral valve prolapse and blood clots going to the lungs among others.

Having shortness of breath could be related to:
1. Being physically unfit (you are a little but overweight
whether you are a male or a female).
2. Asthma.
3. Having high blood pressure.
4. Coronary disease.
5. Having recurrent blood clots to your lungs (especially
with these symptoms of chest pain, leg pain and
shortness of breath).

In my opinion you have to go see your doctor and you have to be checked by doing an ekg, may be a stress test (after the doctor hears your stroy and examines you), tested for the presence of asthma and if he decides makes sure that you do not have repeated blood clots in your lungs.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and if you still have any questions or clarification on anything i said please do not hesitate to post them and waiting for your reply.

Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:28 pm

thanks for your reply i am male my father died of a brain hemridge my dad had a history of dibeities,stroke, high blood preasure. no one i know had a heart attack. i am planning to goto the docs soon as my insurance gets reactivated which should be any day i should hear back from them.

thanks

|