Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Risk of heart disease

MANAZER - Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:44 am

DEAR SIRS,
I AM WRITING THIS LETTER AFTER MY FASTING BLOOD TEST RESULTS I OBTAINED YESTERDAY AND TO GET ADVISE FROM YOUR ESTEEMED SITE WHICH WOULD HELP ME TO IMPROVE MY HEALTH AND WORRIES

THE BLOOD TEST WAS DONE ABOUT MORNING 10' O CLOCK IN AN EMTY STOMACK. ON PREVIOUS NIGHT I HAD A FAST FOOD KFC.

MY PERSONAL PROFILE:
AGE 36 MALE
WIEIGT 79 KGS
HEIGHT 176 CMS

BLOOD SUGAR (FASTING) 113
ALT (SGPT) 19
CHOLESTEROL - 252
TRIGLYCERIDES - 304
HDL CHOLESTEROL - 51
LDL CHOLESTEROL - 139
CHOLESTEROL / HDL RATIO - 4.9

KINDLY ADVISE ON THE ABOVE AND THE RISK WHICH I AM FACING NOW AS MY DOCTOR GAVE ADVISE THAT EVERYTHING IS HIGH AND PRESCRIBED A MEDICINE OF
LESCOL 40 MG DAILY. HOWEVER, HE DID NOT ADVISE ME THE FOOD HABITS I SHOULD OBSERVE TO REDUCE THE LEVELS.

WITH EXPECTATION

ABDUL NAZER
E-MAIL: MANAZER@UNISANTIS.AE
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:39 pm

User avatar Dear Abdul Nazer,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Do you have any other health problems like high blood pressure?

Has your father had a heart attack before he was 55 years old or has your mother had a heart attack before she was 65?

Do you smoke?

A fasting blood sugar of 113 mg% means that you are not diabetic but according to the most recent definition, a fasting blood sugar between 111-125 is considered pre-diabetes. Any body in your family has diabetes?

Your lipid profile obviously has high cholesterol, high triglycerides and high ldl (which is called bad cholesterol by some), and good hdl (called good cholesterol by some).

And i guess you want to know whether you need to be treated or not and what are the ultimate numbers that you should have.

What matters in the treatment is the level of ldl (bad cholesterol).

The rules are the following:
- If a patient has coronary disease or is diabetic then ldl cholesterol must be kept below 100.
- If a patient has 2 or more risk factors for cornary disease then ldl cholesterol must be kept < 130.
- If a patient has 0-1 risk factors cornary disease then ldl cholesterol must be kept < 160.

Risk factors are:
1. Cigarette smoking.
2. Hypertension.
3. Low hdl cholesterol (<40 mg/dL).
4. Family history of premature coronary disease (coronary disease in male first degree relative <55 years; coronary disease in female first degree relative <65 years).
5. Age (men 45 years; women 55 years).

So, according to your profile, you don't have hypertension, assuming that you don't smoke, you hdl is above 40, you are less than 45 years and assuming that no one in your family has premature coronary disease, i don't think that you need to be treated as your ldl level is already below 160.

From a previous post where you mentioned your eating habits and assuming that you are still sticking to the same habits, i think you are doing a fine job, i would add that if you want to eat meat, i would go for white meat such as poultry and/or fish.

i would encourage you also to start an exercise program as this will help lower your cholesterol and at the same time help prevent diabetes (if there any body in your family who has diabetes).

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

|