Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Standard echo planes

maestro300 - Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:35 am

Just curious; if one were to have a routine echo done for a heart murmur; Is the subcostal view usually done? Is that part of a normal echo study?

I remember at one point they had me breathe in and hold at inspiration. Reason I'm asking is-- When I was born; the Dr. thought I may have ASD but was later said to have Pulmonary Stenosis. I was just trying to make sure they did the subcostal view to look at the right atrium as part of a normal study. Thanks!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:58 am

User avatar Dear Mike,

A subcostal view is routinely done when having a transthoracic echocardiogram.

Asking you to take a deep breath and hold can be due to many reasons while having an echocardiogram.

The right atrium can be seen on other views besides the subcostal view.

The murmur of an asd and pulmonary stenosis occur roughly during the same time of the heart cycle, that's why (especially in kids who have very fast heart rate), it is sometimes difficult to tell which is which and the best thing is to have an echocardiogram done.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

Dr. A. Madia - Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:48 am

User avatar Dear Mike,

Subcostal view is part of a standard Trans Thoracic Echo. It shows the Right atrium very well and more inportantly, The interatrial septum is seen very clearly without any Echo drop outs. It is very useful in diagnosing an ASD.

Murmur od Pulmonic stenosis and ASD are located in the same area and both are systolic so may be confused with each other. However An Echo would settle the matter.

|