News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest pain Help

BriDsgn - Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:21 pm

I'd really appreciate some informed advice. I don't have much money or insurance and I don't really know what to do.

I am a 36 year old male. I am 5-10 and 230, overweight.
I have a history of high blood pressure which is controlled with Lisinopril

While I'm overweight I have been getting much more active, used to be close to 250 lbs. I've been doing martial arts and bike riding, some weight lifting, etc.

I've been getting chest pains in my upper left chest area. I know that inflammation can occure in the rib cage/sternum but I don't know if this is the case or if I should run to a cardiologist. Like I said, expensive tests would just ruin me financially.

I know it's impossible to diagnose on a website and I wouldn't ask for that. But how likely is it that three weeks ago I was getting the heart rate up 3-4 times a week and feeling great and this week something be wrong with my heart?

I really appreciate any advice and thank you for the time you spend helping everyone on this site -

BriDsgn
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:55 am

User avatar Hi.

You should ask yoyrself the following questions.

Does the chest pain start after some amount of exercise and stop as soon as you rest?

Is the pain squeezing or gripping type?

If yes it is likely that it is heart pain.

On the other hand

Does it increase in intensity on deep breathing or coughing?

Does it pain more on pressing at the site of pain?

If yes, the its from the ribs or the muscles.

However the final answer only a stress EKG and Echocardiogram will give.

meanwhile you urgently need to reduce your weight even further.

A. Madia.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here