Question: Chest pain Help

BriDsgn - Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:21 pm

I'd really appreciate some informed advice. I don't have much money or insurance and I don't really know what to do.

I am a 36 year old male. I am 5-10 and 230, overweight.
I have a history of high blood pressure which is controlled with Lisinopril

While I'm overweight I have been getting much more active, used to be close to 250 lbs. I've been doing martial arts and bike riding, some weight lifting, etc.

I've been getting chest pains in my upper left chest area. I know that inflammation can occure in the rib cage/sternum but I don't know if this is the case or if I should run to a cardiologist. Like I said, expensive tests would just ruin me financially.

I know it's impossible to diagnose on a website and I wouldn't ask for that. But how likely is it that three weeks ago I was getting the heart rate up 3-4 times a week and feeling great and this week something be wrong with my heart?

I really appreciate any advice and thank you for the time you spend helping everyone on this site -

BriDsgn
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:55 am

User avatar Hi.

You should ask yoyrself the following questions.

Does the chest pain start after some amount of exercise and stop as soon as you rest?

Is the pain squeezing or gripping type?

If yes it is likely that it is heart pain.

On the other hand

Does it increase in intensity on deep breathing or coughing?

Does it pain more on pressing at the site of pain?

If yes, the its from the ribs or the muscles.

However the final answer only a stress EKG and Echocardiogram will give.

meanwhile you urgently need to reduce your weight even further.

A. Madia.

|