Question: Frequent fluttering in my chest

jeffyg - Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:27 pm

For the last 6 weeks I have been having some frequent fluttering in my chest. I have had my family doctor run some tests, but nothing shows. EKG showed normal activity. Blood tests for kidney, liver, thyroid, red/white count normal. Blood pressure normal. I have a neurology consult scheduled in June, but I just feel strange waiting that long for something when I know something is wrong inside now!

What happens:
It feels like palpitations. It feels like a pause and then brief race to catch up. During the brief episodes (only as long as 1 or maybe 2 beats), I feel a somewhat numb sensation into my extremeties. It's not a tingle, but just a 'sensation.' During quiet, I can feel/hear what almost sounds like the squeezing of a wet sponge in my head. The strange part is that many times I can cause one of these episodes to occur by quickly shifting my vision to something else, such as looking at the computer then looking up at the clock.

May or may not be related:
I have had a pain in the neck which can generally be relieved temporarily by 'popping,' altho not always. I have been to the chiropractor in the past, but not in the past 6 months.
My vision 'jumps.' While shaving with an electric razor or sitting on a vibrating chair, items with strong contrast, like TV or digital clock, seem to vibrate with it. I also get this sensation if I'm looking at something like that while walking across the room.
My grandmother just passed away from cancer, reopening much hurt from when my mother died of the same in 1997.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:15 pm

User avatar Dear Jeff,

What you are experiencing is most probably extra-beats.

These are usually benign in nature unless you have an underlying heart disease.

i would suggest that you stop drinking alcohol, coffee, chocolate or any other caffeinated beverages like pop. If you smoke, please, stop if you can.

i would have wanted to see electrolytes results like sodium, potassium and magnesium on the list of the blood tests that were done.

If those continue to be a problem, i would suggest having an ultrasound of the heart (known as echocardiogram) to rule out the presence of a condition known as mitral valve prolapse, a condition known to cause palpitations in healthy young adults.

About the sensation of vibration of the surroundings, this could be a normal response to the activity that you are doing at that time.

|