Question: Dull chest ache back left side

mlorek - Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:29 pm

Hello I am a 26 year male from Colorado who has been having a constaint, dull pain on the left side of my rib cage for over a year now. It is a dull pain in the back towards the middle of my back, kinda feels like a lump under my rib cage, but between it and my lungs. I also have a persistant pain on my fron left side on the bottom outside edge of my rib cage near my sternum. I smoked for 3 years and have been smoke free now for about a year. I do drink more than I should averaging 4 to 6 beers a night with more like 10 beers a night on the weekends. My family has no history of this. Any ideas or information on what is going on would help. The pain is not a "pain" more like a dull ache, but it makes my body feel like it is "rotting" from the inside out. Thank you for your time.
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:46 am

User avatar Hi.

Looking at your symptoms and your profile you need to undergo first a routine medical like pulse, BP, chest and heart examination, X Ray of the Chest, ECG. May be you also need a stress ECG and an Echocardiogram depending and the results of the routine medical.

Also you need to check your Lipid Profile ['cholesterol'].
You drink too much. Stop it right away. This quantity of alcohol, if nothing else could produce a lot of acidity which might regurgitate in your food pipe and produce chest symptoms.

But again I would advice you to undergo the above mentioned test urgently .

Dr. A. Madia.
 mlorek - Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:36 pm

Thank you for your quick reply Dr. A. Madia. Since writing the question I have controled my drinking for about a week and a half and the pain has lessened a little but not by a great deal....do you think it wise to see if it improves in the next week or two or should I go in for tests right away? I do have insurance that will cover the tests but wonder if time without drinking will heal my pain? Again thanyou for your quick response.
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:21 am

User avatar Hi.

You need to severely cut down on alcohol AND get the medical check done as soon as possible.

Dr. A. Madia

|