Question: Chest Pain for approximately 1 yr.

ScaredInSanDiego - Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:26 pm

Dear Doctors,

I am a 27 yr old male. 6'3" 300 Pounds. My family has no history of Cardiovascular Disease. I quit smoking 125 days ago, I do not drink. I am currently Dieting at 1500 calories a day. I have gained 75 pounds in 1 year since the onset of symptoms. My Thyroid Panel came back at low normal at 5.5

Complete Cardiac Workup was done in May of 2004 (Nuclear Stress Test - Echocardiogram) All Normal
EKG's done in May 2005, August 2005 - All Normal
Upper GI Barium Swallow Done in Nov 2005 - Mild Duodenitis

Blood Pressure shows High in Docotors office but cuff size is too small. At home with Large Cuff size blood pressure is between 118/58 and 122/84. At Dr's Office it is between 130/90 and 144/98. Dr. has since put me on Benicar 20mg 1 time a day.

Now for the symptoms
In February 2005 I carried my guitar, amplifier and a bowling ball from the street to my apt (approx 1/2 mile). I had to strain a great deal to carry them and did press up against my ribs awkwardly to hold the items up while unlocking gates and doors. I was extremely short of breath like I had just ran 10 miles but had little chest discomfort. Later that night (approx 4 hours) I developed an intense pain in my chest that radiated to my left arm. And I thought I was having a heart attack. I did not go to the ER as my last ER visit cost me 20K as I did not have insurance and I still did not have insurance. Instead I took some aspirin and some left over valium as I was panicking.

The next day I ached in my left side from the region of my colon all the way to my chest with pain centering on the center of my chest. and my Thorasic Spine region.

THis pain comes and goes about 4 days a week but seems to come more when I am sitting for long periods of time (Ie at work). It also feels as though I am having trouble breathing but I am not. Some nights I have to take a valium just so i can relax enough to go to sleep(about once a night). Also the valium seems to also lessen the pain.

Dr's have guessed that I have reflux and esophogeal spasms and treated me with protonix - this has not worked and I doubt that Esophogeal symptoms would be so insidious.

My current Dr. Believes I have Costochondroitis. But I question that as it has been 1 yr..

Please help I am scared as I havent got a real diagnosis and my Dr. doesnt seem worried or care.. He just through naproxen at me (500 mg BID) and it has had no effect at all. the pain is slightly different but still there.

I am currently no longer on protonix - as my current Dr. Said my problem was muskuloskeletal all though he did no tests to determine this.

My BP seems to be ok. I have had numerous Cardiac Tests, Gastric Tests, but still no answers.

Thank you in advance for any help.
 ScaredInSanDiego - Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:29 pm

I forgot to add that I am also experiencing Vertigo, and my left side is the only side effected. My right side is not effected at all.

Cholesterol is high at 228 - Bad Cholesterol 140 good cholesterol 88
 Shiela - Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:05 pm

I was recently talking to a doctor that told me he had costochondritis himself and it took him six months to get rid of it.

|