Question: Near-syncope

dsmithd1 - Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:47 am

I am a 36-yr old female. My only surgeries have been for strabismus and the removal of my gall bladder, all over 5 yrs ago. I have had one child, 2.5 yrs old, no complications with pregnancy or delivery. I currently take Ambien CR occasionally for sleep problems (only a few times a month) and lorazepam for anxiety. The anxiety causes a very strong and rapid heartbeat in response to mild stress. I take the drug as infrequently as possible becasue of its addictiveness. I am also on the Nuva Ring for birth control.

For many years, I have had a rapid reasting heartbeat (90-100 bpm) I recently took my pulse after merely walking across a room and it was 120. Short walks or efforts seem to get me out of breath. In the last 3 or 4 months I have had three episodes of feeling like my heart "skipped a beat" accompanied by a feeling of almost passing out. This only lasts a few seconds. At the time that each of these episodes happened, I had not recently taken any meds and was not doing anything strenuous or under any kind of emotional stress. The first time I was lying on the sofa reading a good book!

I am scheduled for an echocardiogram today. All my EKGs have been normal. What can the echo show and what should happen next if it, too, is normal?
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:16 am

User avatar Hi.

The most common result that your Echocardiogram might show in this instance is a Mitral Prolapse. This is a condition where the valve leaflets are long and redundant and they slip or "skid" over each other when they close with a force during the systole. This can cause occurence of "missed" beats, palpitation, fast pulse and even a syncope.

This is a totally benign condition, and more of a nuisance value.
You may need to take Inderal 40 mg twice a day which will contol the pulse, the missed beats and even the anxiety part too.

Dr. A. Madia

|