Question: 20 Year Old with Chest Pains

SSC - Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:31 am

Basically late last week (friday to be exact) my heart a couple of times seemed to whince and cause me some discomfort, i thought little of it and my friends said it happens at times and I proceded to have a large weekend of party that had been planned months in advance. On Sunday I woke up and my chest was very tight and heavy. I laid low and hoped it would go away and although it got no worse it didnt really get any better. On monday it wasnt as bad in the morning but it came back later in the day and i was very aware of a slight throbbing on both sides of my chest and even experienced slight little pains on both sides of my arms.

Again I tried to lay low and on tuesday I woke up again and there was no pain but as the day went on it returned and so did the slight pains. So i booked an appointment with the nurse and went in and told her about the tight chest and she didnt seem too worried but said I should go to the doctor if i felt worried to put my mind at rest.

The pains are back slightly but ive taken an anti heart burn pill to see if that solves the problem.

Im basically wondering what is potentially wrong with me or if it could just be a case that ive been going out too much recently and my body is knackered and needs a break...

Could you tell me what the possible things are, what the best advice for me is. Also what would be the effects on my condition (if i even really have one) if I drank alcohol?

If it helps I have smoked for a few years but have cut down to 1-5 a day for the last 6 months or so, I havent smoked since saturday due to my chest condition.

Thanks alot in advance. :)
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:55 am

User avatar Hi SSC,
There are various things that may produce symptoms of chest pain both benign and cardiac in origin. Any complaint of chest pain should be evaluated by a physician to rule out a cardiac origin. Benign(noncardiac in origin) causes of chest pain are, for example, anxiety, stress, GERD, respiratory problems (Asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, pleurisy), etc. Pain usually doesn't change with activity. Regardless of the causative factor, a cardiac etiology should be ruled out by a physician.

|