News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: got an ultrasound...still wondering

nelly145 - Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:34 am

i just got an ultrasound done of the right leg for dvt. i have been so worked up over this situation i am now dependant on xanax to keep me calm about it, because i still think i have a clot and i'm worried i'll have a PE any minute. The ultrasound came back negative, but how accurate are they? just because there's still this really dark blue noticeable vein on the back of my knee, toward the outer side. that same vein is on the other leg but not nearly as noticeable. and it feels like a pulled muscle back there that hurts to straighten or walk on. the site of origin of the pain seems to stem from the area of that noticeable vein which is behind the knee and extends into the calf sometimes. There are no outward signs of dvt, but i heard sometimes there aren't any. i know i just got that ultrasound only 5 days ago, but could it have missed something behind the knee?
Thank you!
Janelle
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:43 am

User avatar Hi nelly145,
Ultrasound is one of the standard diagnostic studies for identifying a DVT. There are usually specific symptoms associated with a DVT. A thrombosis may affect superficial veins. Superficial thrombophlebitis may cause inflammation, pain, tenderness, warmth, and the vein feels much like a cord. This usually lasts a short amount of time, doesn't require hospitalization for treatment and since the vein is not encompassed by contracting muscles as the deep veins are, rarely does this condition cause any sort of life threatening complications. If however, you are still experiencing symptoms, you may want to have a re-evaluation.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here