News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Fast pulse Skipped beats Low Oxygen Sat

angelforever34 - Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:23 am

My pulse frequently runs 100-140 bpm pounding at times. My heartbeats also skip as I can actually feel it stop completely. And I do not exercise, not very active either. I have anxiety issues in certain situations and now I get shaky all over from even getting just a little anxious, believe this has worsened due to my heartrate problems. My anxiety is not the cause of the fast pulse even though it can worsen it. I had an EKG 1 1/2 yrs ago & was told I have PVC but not heart related. I however don't understand why I was told I have extra heartbeats when my pulse is actually stopping. How is that possible? A friend of mine mentioned that low oxygen saturations (low as 84%) from sleep disordered breathing could cause such a condition and that my CPAP may not be working properly. Is there any truth in that? I've had repeated blood tests showing slightly elevated hemoglobin, hematocrit and carbon dioxide levels (less frequently) which I figure could mean low oxygen in my blood. I've started taking Inderal as needed, it helps the anxiety to an extent but not the heart rate. Is there anything I could ask my doc to do to find out what's causing these problems?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:42 am

User avatar Hi angelforever34,
When a person experiences PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) the symptom is often described as a missed/skipped beat, or the sensation of a flip-flop of the heart. Several things may contribute to exacerbation of PVC's, for example, caffiene intake, electrolyte distubances, Mitral valve abnormalities etc. If you have not had a cardiac workup in 1 1/2 years along with labwork etc. I would suggest that you inquire about having this completed. Low oxygen levels may produce tremors/shakiness, shortness of breath, increased heart rate, confusion, etc. I would also suggest that you inquire about a pulse oximeter (to monitor oxygen levels for at least one night) as well as an arterial blood gas (ABG) to evaluate the effectiveness of the current settings of your cpap and identification of decreased oxygen levels in the blood.
Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 angelforever34 - Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:50 pm

I had no idea a blood test could evaluate how a cpap is working out. I will definetly get this test done because the cpap is not working for me at all. I am really happy to know that. Thanks so very much for letting me know.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here