Question: Chest Discomfort with Pain

nagukush - Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:07 pm

Dear Sir / Madam,

I've been smoking for the past 7 years and I smoke about an average of 10 Cigs per day. The main problem with me is that I also chew and "Swallow" the GUTKHA (Beetel Nuts with Tobacco). My GUTKHA consumption is more than my smoking.

Actually I'm a Guitarist and I have to spend a lot of time practicing and studying - thats why I smoke and chew a lot...

Recently (for the past 1 week or so) I feel a vague Chest Discomfort in the night, ie after I have my Dinner. Its a vague feeling of "Heaviness" and "Very Slight Pain" and I feel like I want to burp a lot and relieve myself of the discomfort.

From the past 2 days this sypmtom occurs even when I have very little or no food. I feel that this feeling is getting amplified because of my pshyscological thinking also - ie I'm constantly worried that I may be suffering from a Heart disease or something very serious.

The Discomfort is both in Lest side and the right side consistently - I cant determine where exactly it is. I'm really afraid to discus this with my Parents as they may become very depressed and worried and hence I'm not able to consult a Doctor too.

My only aim in life is to achieve something in music - to become a great Guitarist and I'm really worried (physically and more phsycologically) that my dreams might be shattered if I have something serious...

Also please note that I sleep very less everyday - I practice for 4 - 5 hours the whole night and I goto bed by 5 - 6 Am in the morning and sleep till 10.30 Am (5 hours approx).

I don't know why this is happening - may be because of lack of sleep or due to my excessive tobacco consumption (smoking and chewing)

Please advice - what should I do - is there something very serious with me ?

Also kindly note that I'm 24 years of age and my height is 5'8 and weight is 85 KGs.

Regards
Kush

P.S - I discussed this with an elderly friend who says its all because of Gastric problems.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:19 am

Ischemic heart disease risk increases with age. Your smoking and the fact that you are male put you at an increased risk of heart disease as life progresses.

Characteristic cardiac pain is often described as central chest tightness or heaviness which is brought on by exertion and relieved by rest. It may radiate to the arms, the neck, jaw or teeth. Associated symptoms include dyspnea, nausea, sweatiness, faintness.

Precipitating factors include exercise, emotion, cold weather and heavy meals.

Pain that is unlikely to be of cardiac origin is typically well localized, sharp, pricky, lancinating type sometimes lasting less than 15 seconds. It can be aching type too but mostly will be aggravated on deep inspiration and coughing. Patient will be able to localize it with the tip of her finger.

There is no alternative to getting a physical evaluation. If you are in danger there is no way for me to know for sure.

|