Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: enlarged heart/blood pressure/high white cells

demetria - Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:17 am

I am a 41 yr old female. Until the past 3 years or so, I have always suffered from low blood pressure, then I noticed my bp creeping up into the normal range and recently it has became high. (120/100)
I had a kidney stone that went misdiagnosed for almost a year as "trigger points".
and was given several shots of depo-medral, then switched Dr.s and it was quickly found I had a large stone which was successfully removed with shock therapy in April. When I switched Dr.s in January, a blood test revealed I had high white blood cells and at the time the Dr. associated this with the steroid injections as I also experianced heavy hair loss due to the steroids. However, since that time my white cells have remained high and in the latest test it shows this is not from allergies but rather some kind of infection.I also had a chest xray that revealed an enlarged heart, during this time, so I just had an echogram done which shows one side of my heart to be enlarged. I am being told this is due to high blood pressure (120/100)
My concern is could I have some kind of infection causing the enlarged heart/high blood pressure rather than the high blood pressure causing the enlarged heart. I have always suffered from low blood pressure most my life until the past 3 years or so in which I have noticed it crept up to the normal range until now. I have always been over weight and my weight has not fluctuated for several years so I would not think the high blood pressure is from that.
I thank you for any thoughts you may have on this situation and also any questions I should ask my Dr. Currently I am not taking any medication for this condition. I must return for a recheck on my bp in 2 weeks and go from there.
Demetria Tipling
PS: Dr. is thinking my white cells may be up because I need a couple fillings in my teeth. However, I have no abcesses, pain or anything like that.

tlcrh - Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:53 am

I am recovering from injuries to my chest. I broke ribs #1-9 on my right side. Of these # 1,5,6,and 7 had 2 breaks. Then # 6,7 and 8 transverse processes were broken along with a right ac sholder seperation. I also had a severe pulmatory contusion a small pleural effusion and hematoma. On my last chest x-ay i was told that i have an enlarged heart(40%). When this injury happened it was noted that my heart was of normal size. could my heart enlarge that much in such a short time (7 months)?Also on the ECG it showed a prolonged QT. Thanks Terry
 Hackettsue - Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:50 am

I would like to know if a patient has the following interpretation on a chest x-ray is that suggestive of possible congestive heart failure? If so, what needs to be done next? INTERPRETATION: "There is marked cardiomegaly; The costophrenic angles are blunted bilaterally; No acute pulmonary infiltrates are noted". Thanks much.
:?:

|