News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: STATINS SHORT-TERM TO LOWER LDL?

saintcal - Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:10 am

Hi -- I'm a 63-yr old female with LDL of about 120 and HDL around 53-55. I'm wondering about the possibility of taking Lovastatin or another statin drug to lower the LDL, without staying on it too long. Is this advisable or possible?

I am working on weight and blood pressure control also (15+ lbs. overweight with BMI of 25, and borderline high blood pressure at times), but haven't seen any affect on the LDL so far. Thanks.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:20 am

User avatar Prescription of statins is on the basis of lipid profile and risk factors.

You have 2 or more risk factors (from your history) -

Age > 55

Hypertension

HDL is > 40 so its on the better side.

Smoking, Diabetes too are risk factors which you havent mentioned.

Coronary artery disease is the most important risk factor. I assume you don't have CAD.

So ideally you should follow :-

LDL > 130 - 12-week trial of diet and exercise.

LDL > 160 - Statins

[b]To conclude
- At LDL of 120 and HDL around 55, you shouldn't worry about starting statins :)

[/b]

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here