Forum Name: Diseases of the Aorta

Question: Could this be an aneurysm?

caliente8785 - Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:45 pm

I am an active teenager and I recently I have felt a pulsating sensation between my ribs, right near my sternum. Not only can I feel it, but when it occurs, it is visible through my skin as well. It almost feels as though my heart is skipping a beat or palpitating, but I have never felt it so low before. I have no other symptoms. Could this be an aneurysm?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:33 pm

User avatar Dear Guest,

The thing that you are feeling is your own heart. If it is beating, i guess this is a good sign :wink: .

It is normal to feel you heart beats at this area because this is where you heart is located. There is nothing abnormal about this. Your heart is not a point you heart occupies a spave in the chest as big as your fist. If you do not have too much fat in this area, it is not uncommon to see the heart pulsating.

caliente8785 - Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:46 pm

Thank you for your response - it definitely is comforting! The only thing I may not have made clear in my first post is the fact that the pulse is extremely irregular, it lacks rhythm and is inconsistent. It has been occuring a few times a day for the past 4 or 5 days and such a sensation had not occured prior to this. I know that the pulse of your heart can be felt and seen in the area, but this is not a regular heart beat. Does this additional info change anything? Thanks again.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:53 pm

User avatar Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Irregular heart beats is a significant thing. The problem is that if you need to feel heart beats at the heart it is sometimes difficult to appreciate the regularity of the heart as it moves during beating and sometimes you do not appreciate the beat not because it skipped but because the heart moves. If you want to look fo irrgeular heart beats at the heart then you will have to use a stethoscope to listen for the heart sounds.

This sounds difficult, you are right.

Peripheral pulse (the one usually felt at the wrist is a good reflector of the regularity of the heart beats, so it is better to be checking the pulse at this site to monitor for any irrgularities of the heart beats.

If this is obviosuly irrgular then you will have to see a doctor for that to see what kind of irregularities you have and then decide what caused them and how to treat them.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

|