News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Chest pain- acid reflux or something more?

kmebus - Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi, I'm a 25 years old and about 2 weeks ago I started to notice a dull pressure like pain in my chest towards the upper left between my shoulder and arm pit. It came on suddenly while I was out with some friends that evening and would come and go the rest of that night. Now, I had been doing some moving around of items at my office that day and thought I might just have stretched a muscle funny, but I'm not sure.

Since then, I've been having on and off pressure like poking pains (ranging from mild to dull) towards the center of my chest with it sometimes radiating alittle to the left and right of the center, to my throat, and sometimes around my lower ribs. I've also been feeling a spasm like pain in my left arm from time to time, but I'm not sure if that is being caused by this or an anxiety pain brought on by my worrying so much on the issue. Also, when I flex my chest forward and pull my arms back I can feel like a tightening in the center of my chest, I feel it also when I wake up, and the pain seems to lessen when I take a tums or belch, but not fully. Most of the time I usually experiencing these pains randomly throughout the day, but most often when I first wake up and when I'm driving to and from work.

Now, my question about this is- Could this be acid reflux and anxiety I'm having? About three years ago I was having similiar problems and was diagnosed to have acid reflux in my asophagus while the rest of my pain was being caused by panic attacks, this was determined after two EKGs and a few other tests. The last time I went through this was about two years ago. I guess the reason why I worry is that I haven't been to a doctor since then, I've gained about 20 pounds, and last year my father was diagnosed with Diabetes. I'm already going to see a doctor about this on either monday or tuesday, but I thought I'd ask on here if anyone could give me some insight.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:42 pm

User avatar Your symptoms seem compatible with reflux, especially if taking a tums helps. Other causes of chest pain would not be helped with an antacid. Anxiety can most definitely worsen symptoms.

Your doctor may recommend a trial of an acid blocker such as famotidine or ranitidine to see if this helps. If these do help, but not sufficiently enough there are stronger acid blockers available. Best to start low and work up as needed.

Hope this helps.
 babyblueeyes156 - Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:57 pm

I have pain and tightness in my chest too. I think it just radiates from my esophagus. Sometimes my esophagus goes into spasms or burns and I can tell that's why I have the chest pain, it goes into my neck sometimes too. I have severe reflux disease & barrett's esophagitis. Belch daily. My back also hurts in my sides and I burn all the way up my back sometimes with shoulder pain. It's a nasty disease and can cause alot of pain. I recently hurt so bad in my epigastric area, that I couldn't eat or drink anything without it making the pain severe. It doesn't sound like it's under control and you really need to get some medication from your doctor that will help so it doesn't get any worse.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here