News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: 16 yr old girl with unexplained symptoms

jstanotherbtch - Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:59 pm

my daughter is 16 yrs of age, she is 5'3" , 122 pounds, generally healthy, except asthma. Family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes. current meds..albuterol inhalation solution for nebulizer. She had chest pains a few months ago, I took her to the ER, she had an abnormal EKG, but they said for her to see her MD, her MD is the local health dept. they said she is fine. she is now having tingling in her left arm, dizziness upon standing, blurred vision, stiffness in neck and shoulders, and frequent headaches. this is almost daily. She is NOT overweight at all. The past 3 times I have taken her to the store and checked her blood pressure on those free machines, it has been low. Should I take her back to the ER ?? Could this be serious?? She was also a premature baby if that makes a difference, she was born at 26 weeks, and weighed 1 pound 7 oz. , but has been healthy since then.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:38 pm

User avatar Much of the possible diagnoses depend on what the abnormality in the original ECG was. Do you happen to know what they said was wrong? Unfortunately, ECG's are quite sensitive to lead placement. If one of the stickers was placed in a slightly wrong position it can skew the results. Thus, it is important to have an experienced physician read the ECG to be sure that the "computer diagnosis" is actually correct.

Heart problems in healthy children are very rare. Generally, chest pain is from something else. Her symptoms may, indeed, be from a heart problem that may have been signaled by the ECG findings.

If her heart is normal, there are a few possible other explanations. Very commonly, adolescents (especially girls) will have some vasomotor instability (basically the blood vessels aren't quite up to speed on keeping the correct blood pressure). Those with already low blood pressure (even though normal) are more at risk. Essentially, changes in position such as standing up, or other causes can result in a sudden drop in blood pressure creating the feelings of dizziness, nerve tingling, headaches, etc. Generally these feelings pass quickly.

In your daughter's case, I think there are still some unanswered questions. I would not be too quick to label her symptoms due to something such as vasomotor instability until other things have been ruled out.

I would recommend that you have her evaluated by a pediatrician if possible. If needed, they can refer you to a cardiologist. At the very least, she should have the ECG repeated to see if it is still abnormal.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here