News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: high blood pressure and pupils differnet sizes

revsettle - Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:57 am

i am 25 years old male i ahve just been diagnosed with high blood pressure 145/95 my doctor has put me on lotensin to try and get it down. i had a bad blood pressure spike with an extreme head ache and since of doom. the head ache only lasted an few moments. the abulance driver said that my blood pressure was 200/140 at the time. it aslo showed up on the ekg in the ambulance thay did a ct scan and blood work and a ekg at the hopital all came back good. But i am still having head pressure all the time and now i have noticeed that my pupils are different sizes. what do you think i should do are what my next step should be ? should i be worried are is all the normal ? i havent ever had any surgeries my mother and grandfather have high blood pressure.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:51 pm

User avatar The most important thing you can do is make sure your blood pressure comes under control. Follow up with your doctor is important.

Regarding your pupil size, there are a few causes of this. They range from a harmless, incidental finding with no real cause identifiable to more severe things like a mass pushing on one of the cranial nerves that control pupil size. CT scans are good for looking at the brain. MRI's are better for looking at masses in that particular area.

Elevated intracranial pressure can cause this as well; however, increased ICP to this extent generally will be associated with vomiting and mental status changes.

As long as you are feeling well (no vomiting, no bad headaches, etc.), this is not something that you need to go immediately to the emergency room for but you should bring this to the attention of your doctor as soon as you can to get a full evaluation and make sure that nothing serious is going on.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here