Question: Chest pain muscle spasm - numb finger

krzyroone07 - Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:29 am

27 year old male, no family history of heart conditions, quit smoking 5 weeks ago, moderately overweight.

I've talked to my doctor about my issue and he believes it is nothing to worry about, however I still do occasionally worry about it.

It's difficult to describe but I occasionally have some very moderate chest pain on the right (opposite) side of my heart. Very difficult to describe the exact feeling but I do often notice it accompanying deep breathing. Also I have what has turned into permanent numbness in my left pinky finger. I don't know if numbness is the right word, as I do have sensation in it but it's absolutely somewhat more "numb" than any other area on my body. I'm not sure if there is a relation between the two. I'm thinking that this could be a damaged nerve in my hand.

In addition to the two above symptons, I often experience muscle spasms in my arms and chest area. Again, I'm not sure of any relation but as I do notice the chest pain I am concious of other ailments I have.

Any information would be greatly appreciate. Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:04 pm

User avatar Hello krzyroone07 - It seems you may have a couple different and benign things going on at once. The right-sided chest pain can pretty well be ruled out as cardiac-related because it is aggravated by deep breathing. That will rule out cardiac causes in nearly every instance of chest pain. What could be causing it is either an inflamation of the cartilege between two of your ribs, a very common complaint and one that responds well to ibuprofin (Advil, Motrin). It could also possibly be an inflammation of the pleura, the membrane surrounding the lung, although this is usually a rather severe pain that can raidiate up into the shoulder on the affected side upon deep breathing. It also may respond to the same type of medication, but usually is associated with a respiratory infection like pneumonia or bronchitis. Neither of these problems is lasting nor life-threatening, but can be annoying.

The left pinky finger numbness does suggest an unrelated nerve problem, either in your wrist or even in the cervical spine (neck) where the ulnar nerve originates. The two problems would seem to have no connection, and if the numb finger causes you any problem with doing any important tasks you might want to ask a doctor about a possible cause. Otherwise it's not a big concern and could well resolve on its own.

Muscle spasms in your arms and chest could be due to anything from dehydration or overuse to a cervical spine problem such as what might possibly be causing the numb pinky finger. Or it could be essentially a normal "nothing." In any case it is not anything of great concern. Sounds like you are essentially a very healthy young man who may be overly aware of his bodily sensations. Some of us are more that way than others, and so have to learn to filter out the merely nuisance sensations.

Good lucik to you.
 krzyroone07 - Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:47 pm

Thank you so much for your response. Best to you,

Dan

|