Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: please helpextreme dizzines fatigue blood pressure

johnnnie2000 - Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:34 pm

hi i am 25 year old male and suffer from extreme dizziness and and jelly legs i have suffered jerks when this happens and my neurologist thought it was myoclonus epilepsy but they say the jerks should not relate to the dizziness i walk like i am drunk when this happens and is like i am going to collapse. my blood pressure ranges from 150/100 to 185/115. i have had mri and cat scans on my brain which were fine my eeg was abnormal on both sides of brain.i currently take keppra and have had various other epileptic medications over last few years but to no avail. i have suffered from bad glandular fever when i was 16 and my health has never been same since. is there any ideas what this is it is very frightening and i have no life at the moment thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:36 pm

User avatar It is possible that your symptoms are related to your elevated blood pressure. I would recommend that you pursue this issue. I.e. what is causing your elevated blood pressure?

I would recommend seeing a nephrologist or a cardiologist to work up your hypertension.

When blood pressure is very elevated it can do some funny things to the brain and may be causing your symptoms.

johnnnie2000 - Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:33 pm

thanks for your advice very much appreciaited not sure if it is that maybe i have had these problems with blood presure as i never had itr checked for few years does anyone else have any other opions many thanks
 johnnnie2000 - Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:50 pm

do you think there is a possibility of ms or very bad vertigo?. my neurologist hits me with a beater to see reactions or do u think he would of mentioned this possibility by now. thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:10 am

User avatar Vertigo generally is associated with seeing the room spinning. If you're experiencing this vertigo is very likely.

If a lesion was properly located, it is possible that MS could be causing your symptoms. I think this is low on the list but you may want to ask your neurologist about it.

johnnnie2000 - Wed May 02, 2007 4:16 am

Hello again i was at doctors last week fortunately i had one of my attacks happend when i was there. i expierienced extreme dizziness pins and needles and tightness on head and side of face jelly legs and loss of co ordination. my blood pressure was 193 heart rate 122 he checked again 5 minutes later and it was 150 and 82. he has recommended an urgent refferal to hypertension clinic and test for pheochromocytoma . can u give any views on this as he found the sudden burst in blood pressure worrying and doubts weather the provisional diagnosis of epilepsy is there at all.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu May 03, 2007 2:10 am

User avatar Pheochromocytomas are tumors that often secrete vasoactive hormones that essentially cause an adrenaline rush. This causes the blood pressure and pulse to suddenly increase.

The clasic story is that the person is at the doctor's office and gets an abdominal exam. A few minutes later, the patient's heart starts racing and the patient feel all their symptoms. The examination causes a burst of hormones to be released resulting in the symptomatic episode.

They are not particularly common but your symptoms certainly can be explained by this.

Regarding the epilepsy, I am not able to comment. The epilepsy may or may not be true.

johnnnie2000 - Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:18 am

Hello again i have been in hospital for 5 days for continous eeg they have caught my jerks many of them on camera but i think the brain waves were ok i have not spoken to the specialist yet about 3 weeks yet but the technician said it should discount some things but lots more testing will be needed. do u have any ideas what is may rule out. blood pressure does not seem to be related to this thanks

|