Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: ECG P waves

donnalee - Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:54 am

I suffer sick sinus syndrome and have a pacemaker and last month an ablation for atrial flutter. My during my post ablation check up my cardiologist seemed concerned about the lack of p waves on my ecg and is referring me back to specialist. Is this something I should be concerned about.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:05 am

User avatar Hello donnalee - Sick sinus syndrome (SSS) often eventually results in sinus arrest, which is one reason for the implantation of a pacemaker. If you had an ablation in conjunction with SSS it was probably to ablate the AV jnode, which would make you pacemaker dependent. If your sinus node has failed and is no longer producing p waves this may well be a moot issue, and since your doctor didn't send you into the hosptial I think this would mean you don't need to be unduly concerned. It may mean, however, a possible adjustment in how the pacemaker should be set for optimum operation. If there was a cause for concern in this regard your cardiologist would have sent you to the hospital rather than home. With the pacemaker working the failed sinus node (if that is the case) could mean that the pacer needs to be set differently than it originally was, but you should not notice any real difference or new symptoms. (With atrial flutter there are far too many p waves anyway, so when something changes, the pacer can be optiimized for that situation).

Please do keep in touch and let us know what you learn.

|