News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: High ultrasonic frequencies

Hopeless - Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:01 pm

I have been trying to research what high ultrasonic frequencies can do to a human. I purchased a pestchaser & believe it might have been making me sick. Fast heart rate, nervousness, sore throat. There is no information on-line or on the packaging for warnings. Does anyone know of any studies that have been done & any side effects from the device? Any websites about this topic would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:01 pm

User avatar Ultrasonic sound is a frequency too high to be heard by the human ear (your eardrum can't vibrate fast enough). People can hear sounds ranging from 20 to 20,000 cycles per second, while dogs and cats can hear up to 27,000 cycles per second. The range of other animals can be even higher. When measured electronically, these frequencies are expressed in "hertz", defined as a unit equal to one cycle per second. Ultrasonic sound waves are frequencies over 20,000 hertz, or 20 kilohertz (kHz). The PestChaser is designed to continually and automatically sweep an ultrasonic frequency range between 32 and 62 kHz, well above the hearing range of humans and common pets (cats, dogs, birds, fish). Rodents and some other pests can clearly hear these frequencies. At high intensity the sound can induce auditory stress.

In medicine ultrasound is used for diagnostic purposes. As a diagnostic tool ultrasonography has an impressive safety record. However, exposure to continuous ultrasound as in the case of the pest chaser has not been decided. One study back in 1999 showed that cell division changed in the lab when cell cultures were exposed to ultrasound waves. There is no clear cut evidence to date to argue for or against that.

I would recommend in your case, to consult your doctor about your symptoms. If s/he finds that your symptoms are due to another problem. If you take the medicine prescribed by your doctor and still do not feel better then consider turning off the pest chaser.
 Hopeless - Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:44 am

Mine does make a noise I can hear. I have stopped using mine & I am no longer jittery. How long until my body normalizes?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:16 pm

User avatar Yes, as I outlined above, ultrasound is spefically inaudible to the human ear. I seriously doubt that the cause of your problem was the device.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here