News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: Chest Pain

j_serner - Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:38 am

I am a 27 year old female, My mother side has alot of heart disease and high blood pressure, my father side unknown.
I have been diagnosed with acid reflex and gurd. I have been having chest pain continous for 3 days, plus pain in my arms, shoulders and neck. And I have been having a either muscle spasm or a bubbly sinsation in the middle of my chest wich causes me to have an anxiety attack. I am scard not knowing. I haven't went to the doctor for this yet. I do have children and my youngest is 3 months old so I pack her around and also her in her carseat alot.. Is this something that I need to be extremly concerned about
Thank you for your time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:44 pm

User avatar Hello j_serner - While I wouldn't be unduly concerned I would take at least a healthy concern in the symptoms for three reasons: One , you appear to have a family history of heart disease, although it's unclear whether it was premature or not (prior to age 60) on your mother's side; Two, your symptoms, while consistent with GERD, could also, conceivably, be consistent with cardiac pain. Since they appear two be fairly new they are worth investigating; and Three, the symptoms are causing you considerable anxiety. Although you are a young woman and presumably healthy otherwise, you have children who are dependent on you. While the risk, statistiaclly, is small, pain that radiates from the chest into the arms and neck should be investigated to rule out any possible heart problems. GERD can mimic heart pain very accurately, which only clouds the picture. This is the likely cause of your discomfort, but if the symptoms are new it is far better to err on the side of caution and ease your mind. Who needs all that anxiety? And you don't need, either, to run the risk that you even remotely could be having a heart problem. Go see a doctor or get to a medical facility ASAP and find out for sure. If it's GERD there are things that can be done to get it under control. If it's something else you need to know that too.

I'm betting, in this case, on GERD, but with the family history you have I strongly advise you get yourself checked at once. Then you can relax, knowing exactly what's going on and what you need (or don't need) to do about it.

Good luck to you and please stay in touch.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here