Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: vibration in chest while sleeping

drea - Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:56 am

I am a 33 year old women. Healthy, active runner, approximately 35 miles a week. No known medical heart problems or family history. For the past few weeks I have been waking up with a vibrating sensation in my chest. It starts and stops like a switch being turned on and off. Seems to be happening more frequently.
Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:51 pm

User avatar You may want to see your doctor to get an ECG done. Your description of the rapid on and off may indicate that your heart is beating in a rapid rhythm (possibly just the atria or top chambers). If the ECG is normal you may need a 24 hour holter monitor to catch the episode while it's happening.

Given that you are otherwise OK during these episodes it is unlikely that you have a dangerous heart rhythm but sometimes these rhythms can have long term consequences.