Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: V-tach in a teenager

BmwMan - Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:27 am

I am a 19 male I posted here quite some time ago I was diagnosed with v tach about a year and a half ago. its been rough but my symptoms seem to have been less frequent. when i get v tach it last maybe 5 seconds and i feel my heart "jumping and i lose my breath" i also get pains in my chest from time to time with no irregular or fast beats. i was wondering if i can have some advice on this subject because the doctors down here do not tell me very much about what will happen further down the road and so on.
i have started being well more active against doctors orders. they told me not to skateboard any more but i am. should i stop this? it is really my only means of exersise. also. they told me i cannot drink any alcohol. does that mean i cant drink it at all or cant over drink? for example would i be able to have 2 beers or a glass of wine or two and be fine?? they also told me no smoking, no heavy lifting. please. can someone answer all of my questions?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:58 pm

User avatar Dear Kev,

There are several types of ventricular tachycardia and some of them have causes and some of them don't.

i am not sure about the type of ventricular tachycardia you have. But it sounds from your story that this is a case of idiopathic ventricular tachycardia.

There are at least three types of ventricular tachycardia and i don't know which type you have. But two of them can be trigerred by exercise, how much exercise, i can not tell. Whether heavy lifting can trigger, i suppose it can, so, i would recommend not do heavy lifting like weight lifting at this time. About drinking alcohol and smoking, it is recommended that you abstain completely.

Since you are still symptomatic and you are young and it is not easy to live such a life with lots of restrictions, i would recommend you going to a cardiologist specialized in arrhythmias called an electrophysiolgist to have an electrophysiolgical study to try and locate the origin of this ventricular tachycardia and may be ablate it and get rid of the ventricular tachycardia.

|