News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: V-tach in a teenager

BmwMan - Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:27 am

I am a 19 male I posted here quite some time ago I was diagnosed with v tach about a year and a half ago. its been rough but my symptoms seem to have been less frequent. when i get v tach it last maybe 5 seconds and i feel my heart "jumping and i lose my breath" i also get pains in my chest from time to time with no irregular or fast beats. i was wondering if i can have some advice on this subject because the doctors down here do not tell me very much about what will happen further down the road and so on.
i have started being well more active against doctors orders. they told me not to skateboard any more but i am. should i stop this? it is really my only means of exersise. also. they told me i cannot drink any alcohol. does that mean i cant drink it at all or cant over drink? for example would i be able to have 2 beers or a glass of wine or two and be fine?? they also told me no smoking, no heavy lifting. please. can someone answer all of my questions?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:58 pm

User avatar Dear Kev,

There are several types of ventricular tachycardia and some of them have causes and some of them don't.

i am not sure about the type of ventricular tachycardia you have. But it sounds from your story that this is a case of idiopathic ventricular tachycardia.

There are at least three types of ventricular tachycardia and i don't know which type you have. But two of them can be trigerred by exercise, how much exercise, i can not tell. Whether heavy lifting can trigger, i suppose it can, so, i would recommend not do heavy lifting like weight lifting at this time. About drinking alcohol and smoking, it is recommended that you abstain completely.

Since you are still symptomatic and you are young and it is not easy to live such a life with lots of restrictions, i would recommend you going to a cardiologist specialized in arrhythmias called an electrophysiolgist to have an electrophysiolgical study to try and locate the origin of this ventricular tachycardia and may be ablate it and get rid of the ventricular tachycardia.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here