Question: chest pain in small circular area

asimkalim - Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:44 am

I am 18 years old boy. my weight is 57kg. I have been having pain in a small circular area just below my fourth intercostal space left to the sternum. it rediates outward towards my left arm and some of my fingers of left hand starts to be a bit numb. i have a high sweat rate. my hands and feet remain very hot. i haven't had a check up. previously i just had this pain once in a month but now once in a week.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:56 am

User avatar Hello asimkalim - While the symptoms you describe are highly atypical for cardiac pain, the pathway of radiation and the sweating argue for a medical rule-out of any sort of cardiac involvement. Chest pain which is clearly circumscribed is almost never heart-related, but you could have some sort of less serious structural problem. Costochondritis comes to mind first, but this rarely causes pain which radiates. The sweating and the hot extremities suggest a peripheral nervous response of some sort, but since the pain recurs and clearly causes you some concern, a visit to your primary physician seems a good way to allay your concerns and perhaps get the problem resolved at the same time.

Good luck to you and please keep us updated.
 asimkalim - Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:19 pm

last time i wrote about having a chest pain in small circular area. i failed to mention that when i have that pain my left hand starts shaking and after that i feel dizzy. i have this pain for more than a year now
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:24 pm

User avatar Hello again - The additonal symptoms only suggest more strongly a neurological or perhaps even psychological basis for the problem. I would definitely bring this to the attention of an MD.

The fact that this has gone on for a year now is encouraging in that a cardiac-related problem would have become worse and presented more serious symptoms. The bad news is that it's been going on for a year; you're probably pretty tired of dealing with it by now. By all means I would take this to a doctor for evaluation.
 asimkalim - Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:27 pm

thanks sir i realy apperciate this it helped me to feel a bit relaxed that this doesn't concern with the heart. thanx again

|