Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Unidentified chest pains

jamulli - Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:47 am

I'm 33 and 70 lbs overweight and a light smoker. I've been to the doctor twice this year because of chest pain, occasional palpitations, occasional light headedness, hands that ache at night w/occasional blue coloring on the back of my right hand in the morning. At both visits blood tests, chest xrays and EKG's were performed and didn't reveal anthing. My cholesterol and bp are in the upper range of normal. My chest pains do not fit the various descriptions i've read of heart disease related pains. It is not overly painful, and not constant. Almost like tiny deep muscle cramps all around the sternum and upper pectoral on either side. I haven't been able to detect a trend as to when it occurs, but I know it doesn't come on after exertion or eating. It just seems random. It doesn't affect my work or sleep, but it has me nervous. I've got almost no stress in my life, unless i'm subconsciously stressed. I've enjoyed junk food and hated vegetables my whole life... but is it possible to have heart disease despite acceptable blood pressure and cholesterol? Maybe diabetes? Maybe a thoracic nerve is compressed? You're opinions would be appreciated.
 jamulli - Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:59 am

I forgot to mention that i've also had subtle changes in digestive function over the last couple of months, including heartburn, bloating and fluctuations in motility (I think that's the right word... i.e. constipation or diarrhea at various times). These are things i've not experienced regularly in my life previous.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:07 pm

User avatar Dear Jamulli,

The chest pain that you are having can be related to the heart burn and the gastric upset. Have you tried anything for this heart burn and if yes, have you noticed any change in the chest pains?

If you are still worried about the origin of the chest pain being of coronary origin, i would recommend that you discuss the possibility of having a stress test with your doctor.

|