Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Mitral valve help please

shrimpy1963 - Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:52 pm

I have been diagnosed with Mitral valve prolapse 10 years ago and told to see a cardiologist in the next five or so years if I had any problems. For the last 5 I have been having frequent chest pains and shortness of breath. It happens at least once and up to 10 or so times a day with sharp or aching pains on the left to middle part of my chest. I can sometimes relieve it by pushing very hard at the point of discomfort. The shortness of breath is somewhat constant and I am continually taking deep breaths . I also have quite a lot of dizziness at rest or standing. It makes no difference. My father had a mycardial infarction at age 42 with undiagnosed diabetes. I am constantly checking my blood for diabetes and my most recent tests said i was good. But my cholestrol was elevated to 217. Trigliserides 99. My problem is I have no insurance and was wondering if there may be a place that would check to see if my heart is getting very sick or not. I have 3 young children ages 1 , 4 and 13; I am getting kinda nervous with the chest pains all the time. I also am a very busy person with a type A personality. I cannot afford at this time to go to a cardiologist in a private practice and get all the test. Is there a place where they might be investigating this disorder that maybe I could get some help with? Thank you for your patience with this long letter.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:39 pm

User avatar Dear Shrimpy1963,

The chest pains that you are having can be related to the mitral valve prolapse that you have. The charateristics of the pain that you described are close to those of pain of mitral valve prolapse.

i would personally recommed that you see your regular doctor so that he can send you to have a new echocardiogram to see how the prolapse has progressed over the last ten years. You don't have to see a cardiologist now at least.

You are doing a good job by checking your blood sugar and cholesterol levels regularly. You need to know what is the level of your low density lipoprotein (ldl)=bad cholesterol and high density lipoprotein (hdl)=good cholesterol because they are more important than the total cholesterol.

|