News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Fast Heart Beat and cheast pains

jennycrab - Wed May 30, 2007 5:33 pm

I am a 22yr old female, recently I ahve experienced a faster heart rate than normal and some mild chest pains I went to the emergency room a week ago and was told I have Benign Heart Palpitations and was referred to a cardioloigst, I have a follow up with the dr next week but no one has found anything wrong with me, Ive had a EKG and have been on a heart monitor for serveral hours but nothing seems to ACTUALLY be wrong with me, they doctors seem to just brush it off b/c nothing serious is found but I am still stuck thinking I am going to have a heart attack or something along those lines so I am trying to figure out is it a common thing for seemingly healthy people to have these problems?? I mean it can get kind of scary sitting at work or out to eat somewhere and having this happen for no reason.
 Marceline F, RN - Thu May 31, 2007 3:59 am

User avatar Dear Jennycrab,
Yes, having your heart go "pitter-patter", (and not because you are in love) can be very scary. You aluded to but were not specific as to how frequently you have been having these palpitations. I would also be interested in knowing what is the typical response you exhibit to the extremes of stress that life can throw at us. Many people find that the "flight or fight" response that is a normal reaction to stress causes such an adrenaline rush to their system that they experience a rapid heart rate as a result.
Your experience of this rapid heart rate could very well be felt as palpitations. I would venture that if the cardiologist is telling you it is benign, tnen your vital signs must be within normal range, and you have only the discomfort of the feeling to plague you, and not a genuine problem.
if on the one hand, you find that you have a heightened response to stress, you may wish to explore ways to "de-stress", and improve your coping mechanisms.
If at any time you have chest pain, or the pallpitations cause you additional fear, please go back to the emergency room that already has records on you and be evaluated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here