Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: aortic aneurysm

knila3 - Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:34 pm

Hi, I'm a 33 year old female with no history of heart trouble. I'm am not on any medications. Far as family history... my grandfather died from heart failure. I have no high blood pressure and cholesterol. Other than some sporatic vertigo and weakness, I think I'm in pretty good health. All blood test shows normal, except for a low triglyceride level of 24 pts.

I've recently visited my doctor complaining of a pulsating sensation around my belly button. I can feel it most often when lying on my back. I can also see the surrounding areas of the belly button pulsating. The doctor told me sometimes you can feel the aorta pulsating while resting. He felt my abdomen around my belly button and decided I have an ultrasound of my aorta and a x-ray of my chest done. He wants to rule out an aneurysm. As I researched this issued I found that this condition usually exist in peeps over the age of 50. I'm thinking like wow I'm too young for this. The image tests is scheduled on the 14th of this month... I'm so nervous. My question is, Can a healthy aorta cause pulsing sensations and is there a possibility that I'm worrying for nothing? Thanks for you response in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:38 pm

User avatar It is quite possible to feel the aorta pulsing in the abdomen without an aneurysm, especially when still. Thin people are more likely to feel it.

If you are healthy it is likely that there is no problem; however, doing the ultrasound is very reasonable and wise since aortic aneurysms can be dangerous. It's best to be sure there isn't one or find it early if there is.

|