Question: Palpitations?

kinko - Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:58 am

Recently,I began occasionally feeling "one strong heart beat"I began feeling these fluttering sensations in my chest which I think are probably palpitations back in April. I went to the doctors and they said there was nothing wrong with my heart, and also that I had asthma. Then for a while, they went away until last week when they came back, along with a few other symptoms including tingling throughout my body. I went to the hospital and they did a blood test and told me my potassium levels were low. Is my low potassium causing my palpitations? They happen when I lay down to sleep, or when I am sitting, when I relieve my bowels, lift something heavy, and once it happend during exercise. What could by causing that one occasional"strong heart beat"? Why is this happening to me now, when I haven't changed my diet since I was born? The only lifestyle change I made was last month(after I had the palpitations in April) when I began running a mile every day. However, I stopped doing that since last week. I also feel that whenever I stand up after sitting, my heart is pounding,and I feel short of breath but soon it goes away. My diet is balanced, and I eat a lot of vegetables. Why am I suddenly having these this year, and what can I do if I feel the fluttering sensations? I understand that these are not really harmful, but I really would like it if these stopped. My ECG in April was perfectly fine, I do not take in any caffein, my fat/sugar intake is also very low. Please reply to me ASAP.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:26 pm

User avatar Dear Kinko,

Low potassium can cause palpitations.

The strong heart beats that you have been feeling are part of the palpitations.

i think that you are feeling your heart beats more because you are just paying more attention to them.

Having palpitations is a common frequent complaint among healthy young adults. To make sure that there is nothing going on, usually, some blood tests are done including a thyroid function test and also an echocardiogram is sometimes done to exclude mitral valve prolapse, a common condition that causes palpitations.

In your case, sometimes, albuterol can cause low potassium and can cause palipitations independent of the low potassium effect.

|