Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Intermitent chest discomfort with change in position

mrr19752000 - Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:07 pm

I'm a 47 male with intermitent chest disomfort with change in position. I had chest pains three years ago and had a stress test which was negative according to the md. However I had an elevated bps as high as 190/100. After the test I had a calcium study test which read 0% plaque. I have exercised running 5 miles a day/3 days a week since I was 15, have never smoked and eat a low fat diet. Both of my parents have had heart attacks and all of my fathers family has died from cardiac events. My normal bp is 126/80 with a resting pulse of 62. Do you think I need further evaluation.? The chest discomfort/past chest pains do not occur while exercising. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:12 pm

User avatar Pain induced by changing conditions is less likely to be cardiac related. It may be that you have costochondritis. This is a condition where the cartilage of the ribs becomes inflamed. If you push on the area that hurts with movement and it causes the same pain, costochondritis is likely.

Given your family history it is important that you have regular check-ups and stay in contact with your doctor. If you have not had an evaluation in a while I would recommend you do so to be sure that this pain is not related to the heart. It most likely isn't but if I'm wrong the consequences could be severe. (Keep in mind that I am not examining you and only giving some general advise based on the info I have.)

|