News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest pressure

deathjdstn - Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:09 pm

Hi,
I am 25 years old male and i am 6.3 and is 218 lbs

about a year ago my docs would read my blood preasure high like at 90/159 but ever other visit it would be normal.

my family does have a history of high blood preasure, asthma and diebities.

recently i been getting some concerning sympdoms.

I been having on and off painfull preasure sensation in the center of my chest. been going on for about a week now. The pain would not last no more than a few seconds. Sometimes tho it comes 4 or 5 times in a row. The pain can range from being a simple ouch to almost dropping me to the floor. No other sympdoms has arrise but i have been abnormaly tired lately. None of the pain last constent but has occured every single day several times a day.

If you can best advice me of what it could be and what should i do that would be wonderfull

thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:03 am

User avatar Dear Guest,

Chest pain or pressure can be related to many causes.

The most feared cause is a coronary event or a heart attack. There are risk factors that make the person prone to heart attacks than other people, and thus make it more likely that the chest pain that he/she is getting is related to a coronary event. These factors, in addition to the characteristics of chest pain are the basis of diagnosis of the cause of chest pain. Sometimes it is not as easy as it sounds.

Risk factors include:
1. Family history of early coronary disease.
2. Hypertension.
3. Diabetes.
4. Being a male.
5. Age. Older people are more prone to heart attacks.
6. Hyperlipidemia.
7. Smoking.
8. Sedentary life style.
9. Some drugs can cause heart attacks in young people such as cocaine.

You had a post a while ago saying that you were taking energy pills at one point called herbal nitro but that you stopped taking them because they gave you some undesirable effects. Are you still taking any energy supplements or any other supplements of any kind? Do you smoke? Have you ever checked your blood sugar or your lipid profile? Do you exercise?

You don't have a family history of heart attacks amongst youngsters in your family or at least you did not mention one. You are quite young to have a heart attack, it does not look that you have high blood pressure (although you mentioned that there were some high readings in the past), you don't have diabetes, i am not sure about your smoking history, lipid profile or exercise pattern.

The characteristics of your chest pain does not sound like typical chest pain secondary to coronary disease. There are though more questions to be asked.

You being tired can point to a viral prodrom.

If this continues to be a problem for the next three or four days, i would recommend to see your doctor to have a physical and an ecg and may be some blood tests if your doctor thinks it is necessary.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 deathjdstn - Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:41 pm

well i have not taken any of that suppliments since then. I am a non smoker, and i have not taking a blood preasure test in awhile.

I do not excersise, because I been pretty busy to really get into it as i like to.

No young history of any of those conditions my father developed diabites type 2 in his mid 30's high blood preasure in his 40's.

and as far as those other blood test no i have not taken them recently.

The pain is strange tho it would be just in the center of the chest feels like someone is taking that part of the chest and pressing against it.

and can you please explain what lipid means

thank you
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:10 pm

User avatar Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the update.

Lipid profile is the cholesterol level in the blood amongst others.

From all the information that you gave me, the probability that this chest pain is secondary to cardiac reasons is remote.

If you are suffering from heart burn and or stomach upsed, i would put this as my first cause and try an antacid.

If the pain that you are experiencing increases by deep breathing this could be a mild inflammation of the membranes surronding the lungs/heart and i would try an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen and the like.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here