News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Heart Disease & Dental Work...Is it safe?

ddean - Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:25 am

I suffered a MI two years ago at the age of 34 and had one stent placed. I am currently taking following medicines: Plavix, Aspirin, Lopressor, Lisinopril, Folic Acid, Effexor, and multi-vitaman. I've been scared to go back to the dentist since the heart attack because the day prior to my MI I had been to the dentist and was diagnosed with gum disease and had two teeth pulled. I know that I still need at least one more tooth pulled, two cavities filled, and a root canal. I'm terrified. Is it true that you have to quit your meds prior to having dental work performed? Is Sedation Dentistry an option for folks with heart problems? Should I first get prior approval from my cardiologist before visiting the dentist? I would appreciate any information regarding dental work for folks with heart disease and/or prior heart attacks.

Thanks,
Delia
 Marceline F, RN - Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:47 am

User avatar Dear Delia,
You actually answered your own question in the body of the post. YES, I would run any dental concerns by your cardiologist. There are certain cardiac issues such as valve problems that require prophylactic antibiotics prior to invasive dental work. There may be reasons for your cardiologist to clear you for any dental procedures - only your cardiologist is familiar with the aftermath of your MI (myocardial infarct) and what medications (if any) need to be modified, stopped, or started prior to invasive dental work. Your cardiologist can also best advise you regarding any sedation requested or required during the dental procedures. Please let us know what the recommendations turn out to be!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here