Question: Chest pain under left breast

kasiaesq - Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:30 am

In a 31 year old female. Recently, I have begun experiencing pain under/below my left breast some times moving up. In October, I had a complete physical done and everything was normal (EKG & bloodwork). There are heart problems in my family however, not in my immediate family.

I am not taking any current medications. Is there cause for concern?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:37 pm

User avatar Chest pain from the heart is generally a vague feeling of severe pressure. It seldom is described as sharp or stabbing. Also, usually one is not able to pinpoint the exact area of pain. If these fit your pain you should see your doctor and possibly a cardiologist.

If your pain is more sharp or better localized it is more likely to be something other than the heart. Common causes of chest pain include reflux, pleurisy and costochondritis. Pleurisy is an inflammation of the lining of the lungs/chest wall. Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage portion of the rib.

Pleurisy is often made worse by deep breaths. Costochondritis pain can generally be reproduced by pressing on the area where it hurts.

If the pain persists you should follow up with your doctor. Reflux, pleurisy and costochondritis all have treatments and can generally be made better.

|