Question: Why is my heart beating like this?

porschedrifter - Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:56 am

26
male
H. Pylori
Upper Endo/ Colon
Prevacid, claritin D, albuterol

I havent been able to sleep for the past two nights. This just started last night after feeling a wierd fluttering in my chest. Went to the ER earlier today got an EKG and they released me with benign palpitations. It's still doing it frequently so I decided to record it tonight. (tonight)

Download Heartbeat2007-07-20.mp3

This is what I have been going through:

Main Concern: Throat
• Symptoms nonexistent before 9 months ago.

• Feeling like lump in my throat 8 months ago, constantly clearing my throat to try and alleviate the feeling. Felt like it was just behind the tongue and was noticeable when swallowing.

• Noticed Epiglottis continuously making a popping sound repetitively at random throughout the day, still does it to this day 8 months after.

• 4 months ago an agonizing itching sensation started in my lower throat. If I would turn my head to one side, tilt it all the way back or push with my finger just above my collar bone I could fully feel the itch more. I could also feel the itch more when breathing in and out through mouth.

• Throat would appear to randomly get swollen to the point that it felt there was something blocking my airway when breathing and when swallowing it felt as if there was something stuck in my throat. Also noticed when taking vitamins.

• A few times I have woken up in the middle of the night gasping for air then when waking I felt the swollenness.

• 2 months ago I started getting localized sharp pains in my lower front neck/throat.

• It bothers me to talk and directly seems to be affecting the muscles in my throat used to when talking or moving the tongue.

Secondary Symptoms:
• Sinuses Continuously Swollen, most problematic in upper nasal passages and around eyes including the forehead as well as large dark bags under eyes.

• When sleeping or laying on a couch my hands/feet will start to go numb no matter what position I try to lay in. Often waking up in the middle of the night I will wake up and my hand, a finger or some toes will be completely numb until I shake it around.

• Low energy and Headaches.

• Vision appears to be diminishing, predominantly in right eye.

also the DR checked my Epiglottis and Xray'd my throat to check my thyroid. Both appeared fine today.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:17 pm

User avatar Hi Porschedrifter,

I'm not sure I can fully explain your symptoms. It is a little hard to interpret your heart sounds without actually listening to you to correlate the sounds with your pulse but I suspect you may be having intermittent PVC's (premature ventricular contractions). These can make the heart rate seem quite irregular. Typically a few of them is considered normal. Too many can be a problem.

You may want to have your actual thyroid hormone levels checked as some of your symptoms fit with a thyroid imbalance.

I would recommend you follow up with your doctor to discuss your symptoms further. They are a little suspicious and warrant a full physical examination/evaluation.

porschedrifter - Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:02 am

When I was in the ER they took some blood work as well as a throat x-ray to check my thyroid. Can the thyroid hormone levels be detected through blood work?

How do you go about checking that?

Thanks for all of your help I'm sure everyone on the board feels the same!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:12 pm

User avatar Thyroid levels can easily be checked by a simple blood test. The test is for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and generally also T4 (an actual thyroid hormone).

Most labs are able to do this test and results come back quickly.

porschedrifter - Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 am

Granted I have been under some stress for being sick so long.

However, I know how to cope with those feelings somewhat.

What is really odd is out of the 5 days so far going through this, constant on and off palpitations..

The first day I wasnt anxious, second day since I woke up I felt jittery. Third day I felt like I was on the verge of an anxiety attack to the point I had to conciously dumb down my emotions to not push myself over the edge. Fourth day I was fine not even jittery. Fifth day I'm jittery and close to the edge of an anxiety attack again. Why would it be so off and on?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:23 pm

User avatar I would recommend you have your thyroid levels checked. These symptoms are suspicious of hyperthyroidism.

porschedrifter - Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Ok I will thanks.

One last question, The DR at the ER said my thyroid was ok. All he did was took a blood test and a throat xray. The results come back in 30mins I believe for that blood test.

Is this a sufficient test for hyperthyroidism or do I need one of those blood tests that take 4 days to come back?

|