Question: Twisting leads to chest pain

whole9yards - Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:59 pm

Hi. I'm a 36-year-old male. For at least four months now, I have had the same symptom - whenever I twist my torso, I get an intense pain in my sternum (sometimes radiating down into my armpits or pecs). For example - if I'm in the car and want to look behind me, I can't without extreme chest pain. It's very specific to that sternum area. I get the same pain if I try top prop myself up in bed by resting on my elbow on one side or the other. Same pain if I bend from side to side. I thought I noticed a lump under the sternum area today, but I may have always had this. I'm generally really healthy and don't pay too much attention to my body. My doctor thought it might be GERD and put me on Protonix and then Aciphex. Also gave me Mobic. When none of those worked, I went on Celebrex. No relief from the chest pain on any of them. Other than this horrible specific problem, I'm in good shape. Not overweight, no cigarettes or alcohol or even coffee.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:08 pm

User avatar Hi Whole9yards,

It sounds as if you may have a condition called costochondritis. This is where the cartilage portion of the rib (where it connects to the sternum) becomes inflamed. It can produce quite severe pain. It is exhacerbated by moving the joint as it would with turning. I would have expected that this would be a little better with the Mobic or celebrex since they help treat inflammation.

Another possibility is that you have a stress fracture of your sternum. This would be fairly rare. It may not be healing well since the area is moved frequently.

I would suggest that you see a sports medicine doctor. They are the muscle/joint experts and will probably be able to help you figure out what is going on.

|