Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Post RHC questions

cdavis - Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:00 pm

I had a right heart cath on Thursday (3 days ago) I am 27 and everyhing went well, they were checking for PH which I was negative. Anyways, The day after, I started having muscle spasms in my back on the left side. I took a Soma and a vicodin and went to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night and the spasm was gone but now my whole left chest wall (under my ribs) is aching, It hurts mostly when I take a deep breath so I don't think it is my heart and I am not having any SOB. I am a nurse but I don't understand what it is (muscle pain vs a real problem) any suggestions?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:30 pm

User avatar Dear cdavis,

Was the puncture of the needle through which they passed the cath in the groin or somewhere else?

If it was in the groin which i assume most cardiologist do, i would recommend calling your doctor telling him about the sympoms (to see what he will recommend for pain medications, but i don't see an urgency in going in) and waiting for 2-3 days and if the pain is still there or getting worse, i would then recommend that you go in to be checked.

If the punture was in the subclavian or internal jugular veins and on the left side, i would urge you to call your doctor and go in to have a chest x-ray.

The pain that you are having could be caused by either pleural irritation or muscle pain secondary to the spasm that you had.

|