Question: Chest/arm involvement

moomom - Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:36 am

I am am 35 yr old female who for the past month has been experiencing strange pains in my chest and arm. the pain in my chest can be stabbing under my left breast to a dull ache near the center. the arm pain runs from my neck down my left arm to my fingers and is burning and tingly. the episodes last for up to 2-5 hours at a time. i have noticed unusual breathing patterns where it feels like i cant get enogh air in my lungs, but not with the chest pains. i have a +/-7cm granuloma in my right lung, vasculitis, erythema nodosum all over my legs, and severe fatigue most days, drs. i've seen have been unable to diagnose any specific disease that seems to be here.
Any help is welcomed.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:21 pm

User avatar Dear Moomom,

Chest pain has many causes. One of the most important causes is chest pain of cardiac (heart) origin.

Determination of whether chest pain is of cardiac origin or not depends on risk factors that the patient has for coronary disease and the characteristics of the chest pain itself.

The risk factors for coronary disease are:
1. Family history of coronary disease in family members that started while they are young.
2. Hypertension.
3. Diabetes.
4. Being a male.
5. Age. Older people are more prone to heart attacks.
6. Hyperlipidemia.
7. Smoking.
8. Sedentary life style.

Females in the childbearing age are protected by their natural hormones. You don't have family history, diabetes or hypertension, don't know anything about your cholesterol level and you smoke.

By looking at your risk factors, you have one risk factor smoking.

The characteristics of your chest pain sound to me more atypical than typical of chest pain characteristic of coronary disease.

Your pain sounds more like it is coming of neck problems vs lung problems.

i am not sure about your granuloma is growing and when is the last time you had a ct scan of the chest for follow-up.

i would recommend that you have an x-ray on your neck spine because the symptoms that you are having, pain in the neck and burning and tingling in your left arm sound worriesome for neck spine pathology.

i would also recommend you having a sedimentation rate or c-reactive protein to make sure that your vasculitis is not active and that the pain that you are having is part of the active vasculitis process.

|