News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: My six year old son has Patent Ductus Arteriosus

Maree Stebbings - Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:12 am

Hello
I'm just wanting to know about patent ductus arteriousus. My son was born with this defect and VSD he was 10 days overdue and weighed 9pounds 9ounces. He was last reveiwed at 3 years old and the VSD had closed but he still had the PDA I was told it would probably close on it's own but just recently I had him at the GP and the hospital and two different doctors picked up his murmur - neither time he had a fever. Should he be reassessed I have no idea about this I feel like I was packed off last time and told not to worry, but I do. He is small for his age he started large but didn't grow very well for a long time his growth picked up a bit when the VSD closed but he is still alot smaller than the children in his class he is now 61/2 yrs old. What should I do? There was a letter apparently sent to a pediatric cardiologist but this was a couple of months ago and I've heard nothing.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:23 am

User avatar Dear Maree,

i don't think that at this time, the patent ductus is going to close spontaneously. Most authorities on congential heart disease say that patent ductus arteriosus is less likely to close in full term babies an it has been six ears now.

The negative health effects of the patent ductus arteriosus depends on its size, if large with high flow, it can lead to heart failure and pulmonary hypertension.

Your son has to go to a pediatric cardiologist and followed up on regular basis if the patent ductus arteriosus is deemed small enough to be left alone and not closed surgically. In this case, the ductus is usually very small and the flow across it is small and does not cause any problems. In your son's case, since he has a murmur (even if his ductus is small enough not to be treated), there is a higher chance to develep an infection in the ductus. So, antibiotics have to be given in certain situations like when he goes to his dentist.

Your son's patent ductus arteriosus has to be evaluated and then the decision on whether to close it or to follow it up will be upto to his cardiologist according to what the evaluation will show, but i would urge you to take him in.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Maree Stebbings - Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:14 pm

thank you so much for your speedy reply I really appreciate it. He is going to have his tonsils out does he need to do anything before this? I am trying to get him into the pediatric cardiologist at the moment
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:47 pm

User avatar Dear Maree,

The surgeon and the anesthesist have to be aware of his condition and he has to get antibiotics for prophylaxis against infection of the ductus.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here