Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: NUmbness on right side of head

Chicoflo - Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:03 pm

I am a 21 year old male college student. If irst felt this problem like a week ago i felt light headiness and a left pain in my arm during class. That day i went to the hospital and they told me it was due to my overweight and stress. They did not do any blood work or did any MRI they just check my blood pressure, my sugar and my temperature twice that was it. The next day I still felt the same but less pain but when i would go to the classroom i felt kinda of light headed and i feel weird. I was that for like the past two day. The fourth day i could not stand the pain i had chest pain and my left arm felt kind of numb i went to class. after i went to class i went home and laid down to see if the pain would go away. The pain go worst so i told my brother to take me to the emergency room. They did blood work a ekg exam they told me that the chest pain i was having was due to my obesity and i had to change my lifestyle. So i started changing how i ate, i stop smokin, and drinking. I have lost alot of weight since that day it almost been 5 days. Right now i am feeling my numbness on the right opart of my face and also i am feeling both of my shoulder being weight down and kinda of numness. My question is what can it be? and What should i do?[/b]
 Chicoflo - Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:58 am

I have also been feeling back pain on the top and the lower middle of my back they told me to take motrin but the pain has not gone away i also been feeling gloomy cause i been thinking about what i have alot today i have a doctors appointment to do a check up. i am concerned on what he is going to say.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:15 pm

User avatar Hi chicoflo -

While your symptoms do seem to be worrisome, at least you are young enough that the odds of having developed clinically significant heart disease by now are very slim. If this helps you to recognize some ways you can improve your overall health and specifically your heart health then it will have served a good purpose. Meanwhile, I am not going to tell you it is all due to anxiety, even though it may well be, because I'm not there and I'm not a doctor anyway, but if I were I'm still not there to examine you first hand. This makes it difficult. While your ER exam was a little better than the first one, and a normal EKG is certainly encouraging (as well as negative bloodwork), I think a comprehensive physical exam, including perhaps a stress test, would be in order, after which you should adopt a long-term diet and exercise plan, a life plan, if you will, rather than a crash program to lose weight, as these almost inevitably result in an eventual reversal due to their unnatural nature. You also don't want to lose weight too quickly, as that's more dangerous than not losing any at all in the short run.

While anxiety would seem to be a very likely culprit in causing your symptoms I would urge you to get a comprehensive physical exam, and then work with a doctor or perhaps an exercise physiologist to get into a healthy eathing and exercise routine so that you can enjoy your life more and make sure you remain healthy into later adulthood, when the price of overweight usually starts to come due.

Best of luck to you.

|