News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest Pain, Sometimes Related to Alcohol (kinda long)

Worried2k7 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:04 pm

I am 26, Female a social drinker and don't smoke. For about 2 years now I have been having chest pains that are centered right over my sternum and I can feel them in my back between my shoulder blades. I don't get them all the time and I am not sure what brings them on. I haven't noticed any high stressful situations that bring them on because my overall job can be stressful.

When I do get them I get shortness of breath and I get really hot. Pressing on my chest or back seems to help a little, but I think it is just a reflex. I do notice that my heart rate increases and sometimes it flutters a little...kinda like it double beats or something.

A couple of episodes occurred while I was drinking alcohol (I only drink vodka and coke & not a lot I am not a drinker). The symptoms were way worse and I had to go to the bathroom once to cry because it was so painful. I could feel it in my left shoulder and my neck. The other episode was the same, very painful and I felt the need to lay on my back.

The symptoms usually last for about 30-45 minutes. I haven't gone to the doctor yet because in my job you pretty much have to go to the ER or come to work. If I don't have a symptoms it is kinda hard to explain it to them... maybe I should print out this thread :)
~family history~ mom has high blood pressure, grandma (paternal) diabetes, grandpa (maternal) triple bi-pass and pace maker. I also have chronic migraines (which I am taking 100mg Topamax a day), and they thought I had TIAs, but changed thier minds.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:43 pm

User avatar Hi Worried2k7,

The pain you are describing is very consistent with reflux. You may want to try taking an antacid when you have the pain to see if it improves. It if does it almost certainly is acid reflux.

You can also try one of the over-the-counter reflux medicines to see if they lessen the severity/frequency of attacks.

If these are not helping or if your pain worsens/persists I would recommend to try to talk with your doctor about it.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here