Question: Supraventricular tachycardia with Wolfe Parkinson White

JLUNA - Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:46 pm

MY SON WAS DIAGNOSED AT 3 WKS OF AGE WITH SVT WITH WPW. I TOOK HIM TO THE LOCAL ER BECAUSE HE WAS NOT EATING WELL, TURNING PALE AND I COULD FEEL HIS HEART RACING. AFTER CARDIAC ARREST IN THE ER WITH 277BPM. WE WERE TRANSPORTED TO TCH IN HOUSTON. AFTER A 12 DAY HOSPITAL STAY AND GOING HOME ON SOTALOL AND INDEROL HE WAS TAKEN OFF HIS MEDS AT 1 YR OF AGE. AND RELEASED FROM CARDIOLOGY CARE AT 2 YRS OF AGE HE IS NOW 31 MONTHS OLD (2 1/2) AND HAD AN EPISODE THAT BROUGHT US BACK TO TCH AFTER ADMINISTERING ADENOSINE AND MONITORING HIM WE WERE SENT HOME ON INDEROL AGAIN. HOW COMMON IN CHILDREN DOES THIS REOCCUR? I WAS TOLD 6 MONTHS AGO IT WOULD BE VERY UNKLIKELY FOR HIM TO HAVE ANOTHER EPISODE IT USUALLY RETRUNS AT THE AGE OF 4 OR PUBERTY AGE. WHAT WOULD BE THE NEXT STEP PROVIDING THAT IT RETURNED SO SOON? SHOULD I BE WORRIED THAT HE SHOULD BE ON SOTALOL TOO?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:25 pm

User avatar Dear jluna,

Your son has to be seen by a pediatric cardiologist specialized in arrhythmias, a pediatric electrophysiologist. He should have an electrophysiological study to determine where the accessory pathway is and ablate it (according to the guidelines in perdiatric population).

JLUNA - Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:32 pm

HE IS BEING FOLLOWED BY A PEDIATRIC CARDIOLOGIST ELECTROPHYSIOLOGIST. I WAS ASKING IF I SHOULD BE MORE CONCERED NOW THAT THE EPISODES HAVE RETURNED SOONER THAN ANTICIPATED. DO YOU KNOW THE STATISTICS ON WPW REOCCURING SO SOON? IS THERE ANY OTHER INFORMATION YOU COULD GIVE ME? WHAT ABOUT ABLATION WE WERE TOLD AT EVERY OFFICE VISIT OF THE PROCEDURE BEING A POSSILIITY AT A LATER AGE. DO YOU KNOW THE EARLIEST AGE IT IS PERFORMED?? AND IF AT ALL IS MEDICALLY NECESSARY OR CAN HE REMAIN ON MEDS?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:57 pm

User avatar Dear jluna,

Thank you very much for your update.

i don't think you should be concerned.

i am not a pediatric electrophysiologist and i don't know at which age they can start performing ablation.

Until this age is reached where your son can have an ablation, from the history that you are giving me, your son will have to be kept on medications.

At that point in time, you can make the decision of whether you want to go with ablation or continue with medications after discussing the pros and cons of the ablation and how well your son is tolerating and compliant with his medications.

|