Question: pulmonary hypertension

babineau - Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:21 pm

I am a 44 year old female that started with shortness of breath in January. Noticed it in the shower at first. Was diagnosed withhigh BP in February. During a routine screening test, an echo, my pulmonary pressure was 44. I saw a specialist as I was also dizzy, light headed and SOB with exertion. He repeated the echo a month later. Now 43 so he did a right heart catheterization. It was normal. Stress test and PFT's are normal. SOB is worse 2 monthes later and now I have a very fluctuating central chest pressure accompanied with a weird cough. It feels like a ballon deflating and sputtering. The cough is only with this pressure. I have tried puffers in case it was asthma with no relief and an anxiolytic with no relief. Any ideas? Pulmonology said I need cardiology.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:04 pm

User avatar Hi Babineau,

I would recommend you see a cardiologist as well. It may be that you are having a rhythm issue. If you have been evaluated when you were symptomless it may not have presented.

A holter monitor can be helpful to determine the rhythm during episodes. It is basically an EKG machine that is worn for an extended period of time.

A cardiologist can help determine if you need further work up.

|